Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Measuring RSS Feeds and the Search for Realtime, Free, Opensource Analytics Tools

Once upon a time, I had a team of programmers build me custom analytics tools to answer all of my tracking questions. I wanted to be able to follow site visitors from offsite, through specific banner ads, to onsite registration to attempted download, re-registration, application based activity and related email newsletter and promotion receipt and response, plus attribute the activity to various and potentially competing affiliates who worked with me.

But the tracking universe keeps expanding. Today I want to know how many people are reading my RSS feed. Whether the people who are visiting my site are already subscribed. Are they forwarding the newsletter to other people?

Trying to force-fit this kind of granularity out of google analytics, which is my current tool, is pretty challenging. I want to be able to break it down to the user level and see it in real time. Did person X, from campaign Y ever come back to the website after they signed up? Are people who come from keyword searched more likely to forward articles on to associates?

So, I have been doing lots of online reading about various tools. Anyone know of a free tool that allows me to see reports in real time? One that allows me to slice and dice at will, ideally.

No comments: